Some of the first beach hut on Frinton were situated on Frinton-on-Sea’s South Beach, Essex. The huts were built in 1932 by De Lacy Evans to provide visitors with shelter from the Sun and rain whilst visiting the beach. They were sold to James Keast in 1984 who operated them as souvenir shops until 2006 when the land was acquired by Colchester Borough Council with plans for redevelopment. The huts came under threat after they were reduced to 15% of their original size and spaced out due to adverse reaction from local residents, outcry from conservation groups and threats of vandalism; resulting in an anonymous donor offering financial assistance towards restoration costs if they were relocated further down the parade. In December 2012 planning permission was granted to Colchester Council under strict conditions that the huts be restored, and that their original size and spacing was maintained. This would allow for the redevelopment of the site to include a new café, improved access, disabled toilets and community space; with any surplus funds being used towards restoration costs for the beach huts.

The huts were designed by renowned English architect Raymond Erith who at that time was working in partnership with De Lacy Evans (1880-1952) whom had founded his practice after World War I. A prolific designer who specialised in cinema interiors, exhibitions, interior fittings and furniture construction he is also famous for designing London’s K2 underground station known locally as ‘the Cathedral of Transport The huts are designed in the Modernist style, with flat roofs and large windows. Decorative elements include sweeping curved boxed eaves, timber battens and angular support columns. Hinged double doors fitted with an aluminium strap handle and lock allow access to the huts from both sides.

Originally there were 6 beach huts, but one was demolished after a fire in 2006 due to major structural damage rendering it unsafe; resulting in only 5 surviving today (4 still standing along the front of the beach, 1 lost as a result of the demolition). In 2013 Colchester Council presented their plans for redevelopment during a strategy meeting held at Holland-on-Sea Town Hall which included detailed computer generated images showing how they would look once restored along with additional information about the process of restoration and Colchester Council’s plans for their future use. The computer generated images depict a café at the front of the beach which would serve hot and cold drinks, light refreshments and ice creams during summer months; in addition to a roof top seating area that would be available to hire by members of the public during events and festivals. The plans also include improved access from Colchester Road with disabled toilets, picnic areas, new or relocated bins, community space for organising arts activities such as dance classes or make up workshops plus some outdoor sports facilities – all within easy reach of the site’s car park.